Bomb attack near railway station in southwest Pakistan kills at least 23
Bomb Attack Near Railway Station in Southwest Pakistan Kills at Least 23
Bomb attack near railway station in southwest – Sunday’s attack in Quetta, a city in southwestern Pakistan, left at least 23 dead and 71 injured when a suicide bomb detonated near a railway station as a train passed through the area. The explosion, which occurred during peak hours, sent shockwaves through the bustling urban center, disrupting traffic and causing widespread panic among commuters. Emergency services were immediately dispatched to the scene, but the scale of the devastation posed significant challenges in rescue and recovery efforts. As of early Monday, authorities reported that 23 bodies had been recovered, with more than 70 injured individuals transported to local hospitals for treatment.
The Baloch Liberation Army (BLA), a separatist group that has long sought independence from Pakistan’s central government, has taken credit for the attack. In a statement released shortly after the incident, the organization declared the bombing as an act of retaliation against perceived government oppression in the region. The BLA, known for its use of suicide bombings and coordinated attacks, has been a recurring threat in Balochistan, a province rich in oil and minerals. This latest strike follows a pattern of violence that has plagued the area for years, with militants frequently targeting public infrastructure and civilians.
Rescue Operations Continue Amid Growing Concern
According to emergency worker Muhammad Zeeshan, the immediate aftermath of the blast saw a frantic mobilization of resources. “The site was chaos from the moment the explosion hit,” he said, describing the collapse of buildings and the scattering of debris. “We’re still working to clear the area, and more casualties might be found as the dust settles.” While the initial toll of 23 dead and 71 wounded has been confirmed, officials warned that the final numbers could rise further, with over 100 people believed to be either killed or injured. The exact cause of the explosion remains under investigation, with bomb disposal teams carefully examining remnants at the scene to determine whether it was a pre-planned device or an improvised explosive.
Quetta’s hospitals have been placed on high alert, with emergency staff scrambling to manage the influx of patients. The city’s medical facilities, which already face strain due to the region’s ongoing unrest, are now dealing with a critical surge in demand. “We’ve never seen such a large number of injured arriving in such a short time,” said a hospital administrator, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “The casualties are spread across multiple locations, and we’re coordinating with neighboring provinces for additional support.” The provincial government has also declared a state of emergency, allowing for faster deployment of resources to the affected area.
Survivors Share Heartbreaking Accounts
“I was right there near the tracks. I can’t even believe how we survived,” recounted a man who witnessed the explosion. “The blast was so huge. Thank God, we made it out alive.”
The eyewitness, who declined to share his name, described the moment the explosion occurred as one of sheer terror. “People were just running, screaming, and trying to get out of the way,” he said. “The sound was deafening, and the smoke was everywhere. It felt like the sky was falling.” His account echoes the experiences of many survivors, who reported being thrown to the ground by the force of the blast. Some described the sky lighting up with fire and the air filled with the acrid smell of burning fuel, while others shared stories of family members injured or missing in the chaos.
Deputy Superintendent Police (City) Qadir Qambrani confirmed that the attack was a suicide operation, though the specific details of the perpetrator’s identity and method remain unclear. “The blast was targeted and deliberate,” he said in a press briefing. “We are still verifying the exact number of casualties, but the scale of the damage suggests a high level of planning.” The police chief also noted that the railway station’s proximity to the main railway line made it a strategic location for the attack, as it could disrupt vital transportation routes and disperse the shockwave across a wider area.
Government Response and Regional Tensions
Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif condemned the attack as a “heinous bomb explosion,” calling it a cowardly act of terrorism aimed at undermining Pakistan’s stability. “Such violence will not deter us from our path,” he wrote on X, emphasizing the nation’s resilience in the face of ongoing threats. Sharif’s remarks came as the Interior Minister, Mohsin Naqvi, visited Quetta to assess the damage and hold a meeting with the province’s chief minister. “The beasts targeted innocent people with extreme brutality,” Naqvi said, vowing to intensify security measures and investigate the attack thoroughly.
Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province, has been a focal point of separatist activity for decades. The BLA, which has been active since the 1990s, has frequently carried out attacks in the region, often targeting government buildings, military installations, and public transport. In February of this year, the group claimed responsibility for a series of suicide and gun attacks that left at least 33 people dead, further highlighting its role as a key player in the province’s volatile landscape. Analysts suggest that the BLA’s strategy of using railway stations as targets is designed to maximize casualties and send a message of defiance against Islamabad’s control over the region.
As the investigation continues, authorities are urging residents to remain cautious and avoid the affected area. The attack has sparked renewed calls for stronger security in Balochistan, where separatist groups have exploited the region’s political instability to carry out their operations. With the BLA’s recent actions, the province’s struggle for autonomy remains a pressing issue, and the global community is watching closely to see how Pakistan responds to the escalating violence. The tragedy has also drawn comparisons to other bombings in the region, with experts warning that such attacks could become more frequent as tensions between the central government and local separatists persist.
